Hembree Farm Preservation Site
The Hembree Farm, circa. 1835, is an ongoing project for our Society. We are working to preserve a portion of the original Hembree farmstead, one of the oldest in north Fulton County. Amariah Hembree and his son, Elihu Hembree, were pioneer settlers in the 1830s on land once occupied by Cherokee farmers. The Hembrees grew cotton for the old Roswell Manufacturing Company, and, along with other early settlers, organized the Lebanon Baptist Church at their farmhouse in 1835.
Hembree Farm's remaining structures include the house, detached kitchen (small building in center) and two log corn cribs. All were moved to this site in 2007.
Members of the Hembree family in front of the farmhouse circa 1900. This photograph is part of the Hembree collection at our Library and Archives.
Below is the house before it was moved to its current location.
P.O. Box 1636
Roswell, Georgia 30077
After eight generations of family ownership, the house, detached kitchen, two corn cribs, and one acre of land were gifted to the Society by a family descendant. The Society has established a fund for the restoration of the structures, and tax deductible donations are welcome.
Additionally, we hold preservation workdays and fund raising events to forward our efforts at this site. Click on the any of the three links on the right to learn more about our activities.
These two photos of the detached kitchen's chimney show little change over the years. The black and white photo, circa 1930 is part of the Hembree collection at our Library and Archives.
The color photo was taken not long before the kitchen was moved to its current location.
The house had three chimneys and the detached kitchen yet another. We hope to restore at least one in 2012.
Donate to the Hembree Farm Fund